Friday, January 12, 2018

Refashion: Cotton nightie to crochet basket

When I visited my mother taught me how to crochet. But instead of making a scarf (which I don't need in the tropics all that often) I learned how to make a basket out of a t-shirt.
 I gave it a handle and caught some shells up in the weave,
 You can see some bits of colour from the pattern that was on the front of the t-shirt. This basket looks after one of my pot plants. It's not a very big basket.
Onto the how. 
You start with a shirt. Seamless is the best, but you can do it with any t-shirt. I had this soft cotton nightie.
I cut the top and sleeves off, as well as the bottom hem. You essentially make yarn out of the shirt, and you can now buy t-shirt yarn in sewing and crochet shops.
You fold it in half and cut from the fold to the seams, cutting through one and leaving the other intact. There is method to this madness.
Once the strips are cut, you then make a diagonal cut between strips in a way that ensures that you end up with one long strip of fabric.
I forgot to take a photo of my yarn ball, unfortunately, but it was a decent size and I started the crochet. This is the base:
And this is my finished bowl.
It certainly has character! I didn't intend for it to turn out this way, but I know why it did. I need to do less stitches as I go higher. Next time!

And there will be a next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment