Friday, February 23, 2018

Repairing the rascally rip - mending pants

Why is it that our clothes often break in the most inconvenient places? This pair of my husband's pants had ripped in the groin and he was going to throw them out, but I was pretty sure that I could fix them.
I went into my stash to see what I had. I actually keep scraps of jeans fabric for this very eventuality, but I didn't know if I had any black that would be suitable.
While it would have been entertaining to patch them with a fluro green owl, I was actually looking at the wear of the fabrics. The other black material that I have was too black, it hadn't faded like the pants had over years of wear. But the owl fabric had, so it was a good match for a patch.
I didn't need a huge piece, so I cut around the owls.
It was tricky pinning the patch on, because I had to thread my arms through the legs of the pants to reach the spot. But I made it secure eventually and carefully put it through the sewing machine. I used a Jeans needle, which is designed for this kind of fabric.
I cut the ripped part out of the inside of the pants once it was mended, because otherwise it would just keep fraying and annoy him when he wears them. I used pinking shears, to try and slow down any further fraying.
Not very obvious, is it?
And because of where it is in the groin, you actually don't see most of it when the pants are worn.
 Now there's some more life in them 🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment