Friday, February 2, 2018

Shirt Refashion: Something fishy for my father

I bought this fabric at an art fair and wanted to make something for my dad with it.
But what to make:
  • Table cloth?
  • Pillow cases for his bed?
  • Beanbag cover?
  • Fabric place mats for the table? Though they would have to be washed every time they were used then
I had made my dad shopping bags before, so I didn't want to do that again. He also already had car seat covers, which would have been pretty cool in this fabric.
I decided on a shirt. I have tried to make men's button-up shirts before, but have had trouble with the fit. So I cheated and bought a plain shirt to add the fabric to. I had plenty of fabric, so I could design it however I liked.


I used the shirt as a template to cut out a panel to go on the back.
It was printed on calico, which wrinkles a lot, so I had to iron every piece I used. I don't iron clothes as a general rule, only busting it out for quilting and sewing!
My dressmakers manikin wasn't quite the right size, but it did well enough for me to pin the fabric on.
Did I want to add to the sleeves? I wasn't sure.
All of the fish faced the same way, too, which didn't work so well for the sleeves. The final creative consultant's (my husband's) decision was to leave the sleeves blank. Another option would have been to have removed one entirely and replaced it with fish fabric.
Sewed the back panel on and hemmed it under:
Added a panel to one side of the front.
Did a contrast pocket on the other side, after I had removed the existing white pocket.
And used a little fishy face to cover the tiny hole I put in the shirt when I took said pocket off.
Presto - finished shirt!
And happy dad :)
#lovelypennypatterns

No comments:

Post a Comment