Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Robin Hood Cosplay: A Merry Man and Woman

My archery club have a traditional shoot each year where they have a recurve/longbow competition, hieing back to older times. As part of it this year people are invited to dress up in traditional archers garb, from whatever era or mythical land they choose. One of my favourite movies is the Robin Hood with Errol Flyn in the title role: so Merry Men and Women it is.

Over Shirt

I started with one for a friend as a test. I used an existing pattern and cut a rough top out. I didn't want the additional seams, so I didn't do four pieces, just two. Back panel:
Front panels:
All of the edges were overlocked, which they certainly wouldn't have done in Robin Hood's time!
I cheated for the castle cut-out pieces: instead of having to sew all those extra seams to make the shapes, I cut them out of t-shirt fabric. No hemming necessary!
The sleeves went on perfectly!
Once I was sure that this method was going to work, I moved on to my own costume.

My Over Shirt

I cut my outfit out of hot pink, because why not?
I used some t-shirt yarn that I had made to create the lacings for the front once it was all sewn together.
And I had an old singlet with interesting front detail that I cut in two to use as the sleeves and for the decorative bit on the bottom.
I went with the blue contrast to match the hat I had already made.
Some fake leather for the lacings and I was done! I had picked up a white shirt at an op shop to use for dyeing, so I rescued it for this project. Without it I just looked like I was wearing a dress!
Very happy with how it turned out 😊

Husband's Over Shirt

I used an existing shirt for my husband's costume, as I've had trouble in the past where the shirts that I've tried to make him don't fit across the shoulders. Need to work that out some time.
I cut the long sleeves off the shirt and removed the buttons down the front. 
I cut the sleeves off an existing t-shirt again, and cut the decorative cut outs.
Sewed them in.
I left the pocket on because it was going to be a pain to unpick, and it usually leaves a hole.
I cut the collar off, turned what was left under and sewed it down to create a different neckline.
Sewed the decorative bottom on as well.
I went with green t-shirt yarn for the lacings. I forgot to take a photo, but I had sewn extra button holes in the match the existing ones for the lacing. Below that I used a piece of one of the sleeves I had cut off to make the shirt a bit looser and to close the front.
Happy, merry husband! 
And a photo from the day:
#lovelypennypatterns

No comments:

Post a Comment