Monday, June 4, 2018

Making Robin Hood Hats for a Cosplay

Robin Hood's Hat

This was a very quick hour of sewing that will be for a future costume. 
I borrowed a pattern from another blog and cut out a template for the hats from an A3 piece of laminated paper:
Went shopping for felt and feathers.
But could only find small pieces of felt, so I had to sew two together to have enough to work with. 
I pinned the two larger pieces together and then pinned the template over it and cut it out.
I hemmed the bottom edge the wrong way around, as I knew that I would be turning it up later on and this would hide the hemming. Then it was a matter of pinning the two pieces around the edge that I was going to sew.
Turn it right-way around, and turn the edge up:
Poke two holes for the feather to go through:
And there you have it! It would be better without the seam in the middle, but I'll need to source some larger bits of felt if I want to do that.
I had made that one (admittedly as a test) for a friend. The next one, in black, was for my husband. The template was too small for him, so when I cut it out I just left an allowance around the edges to make it bigger:
Once it was sewn together and the edges turned up, I actually put a few stitches in the side so that the hat wouldn't unfold itself.
It doesn't look too bad on me either 😉
And finally on to my hat! A nice deep blue. Repeat all previous steps.
And there you have it: ready for some Merry Men and Women!
#lovelypennypatterns

No comments:

Post a Comment