Friday, June 1, 2018

Op Shop Refashion: adding to eco dyed shirts

Something I've noticed about selling craft is that you need to find a niche: something that no one else does, or at least that no one else does quite like you do. I achieve this with my wire-wrapped beach glass necklaces, because I've never come across anyone else who does it that way (let alone adds dangly bits, shells, and all sorts of things).
But eco dyed garments are becoming more popular now and there are a number of people in my area who do it. Some do flowers and steaming on silk, others rust dyeing, but there is also the woman that I learned to eco dye from. I don't want to be a poor copy of her beautiful work, so I need my own "thing". That's why I started adding trims to my dyed clothes, and dyeing with grevillea leaves, because they are something different. Then mum gave me another idea: add bits of off-cuts from the Indigenous prints that I love so much. And I thought, "I've got a lot of those, why not?"
These are my first forays into my new line of embellished clothes 😉

I do like this fabric, I had better try and get a bigger piece of it to make something.
I'm going to re-wash this top so that the shirt fabric rolls in. It's a nice effect.
I thought the spots matched the tea spots on the top!
There may be too many patches on this one.
I'd like to do some more leaf shapes though, I think they fit the tops well.
I've got some sewing to do!
This was going to be a quilt block, but it's sat around for over a year so I thought it should be re-purposed. It will go on something soon.
#lovelypennypatterns

No comments:

Post a Comment