Thursday, June 28, 2018

Denim Shorts Refashion to Bush Chooks Skirt

A common sight in local gardens is the infamous Orange-Footed Scrub Fowl, or Bush Chook. They make a horrendous mess of your garden, but they are pretty darn cute. It's a love/hate relationship.
I picked these up at the Christmas Craft Fair and have been waiting for the right time to use them.
When these shorts wore out, I knew that it was time for another denim skirt refashion!
You know when the crotch wears thin and starts to rub in an uncomfortable way?
I used pinking shears to cut the legs open. I wasn't going to overlock the edges, so this was the cheat way to semi-seal them. Denim doesn't fray as much as some fabrics.
I pinned the front and back sides closed with a lot of overlap, because otherwise the skirt will bulge in places that the shorts used to.
The napkins will patch the holes a treat!
Although, after I tried it on they still bulged too much.. had to take it in more.
Particularly on the front. It made a nice, straight skirt though.
I cut one of the pieces in half to make a smaller patch on the front. Otherwise the larger one covered my existing patches too much.
The other half of it went on the side.
I'm finishing up a bush chook stencil at the moment, so I'll definitely print a couple of those on the next time I get the paint out. 
Terrible final photos, but you get the idea.
I love these refashions, because you get a funky skirt, but functional pockets with it that are often missing from skirts. Now I can wear this to archery!
#lovelypennypatterns

No comments:

Post a Comment