Friday, June 15, 2018

Apron Dress cosplay for a Viking Warrior!

Each year they have a Viking Funeral in my city at the local yacht club. They launch a boat and set it on fire using flaming arrows. And it turns out that my archery club do the honours.
So this year, I get to fire some of the flaming arrows! So of course, I need an appropriate outfit.
There are a lot of theories about the Apron Dress, and of course about Vikings. No one is apparently exactly sure what they looked like or wore, because not much has survived. But there is some general consensus that there was an Apron Dress and it would have looked something like what I am planning to make. The apron overdress was used to display embroidery and beads, which are usually linked to wealth in many cultures. I was planning on being moderately wealthy.

Under Dress

I found a pattern in a box and thought that it would suit it. I really needed a pattern for the under dress, because the last time I tried a free-pattern one it was a disaster!
I pulled some spare fabric out, but found that I only had black for the under dress and navy for the apron dress: they wouldn't contrast very well, nor stand out against the darkness when I shoot. And then I remembered this light fitted sheet that we had in the cupboard that didn't fit our bed anymore.
Perfect!
I chopped all of the elastic off.
And then laid it out to pin the pattern pieces down.
The pattern only went up to an 18, a bit small for me, so I marked out where a size bigger would be and then cut a seam allowance of another cm on top of that.
I pinned the curved seams together and sewed them, leaving the side seams free: if the dress was too small still, this is where I would add fabric in.
But I had estimated pretty well! I actually had to take it in at the sides to fit. It's hard when you're different sizes in the top, chest, hips AND waist! 
Back zip (not so traditional, but so much easier!)
And I used an existing top to measure out the sleeves, which I patched together from leftovers from the bed sheet.
The final touch was trim around the neckline:
It's very comfortable, being such a worn sheet.

Apron Dress

This part was easy - I used an apron that fit me well as a template and cut the overdress out. I also cut out two strips to turn into the dress straps. I would also need some longer, thinner strips to sew into ties for the lacing on either side of the dress.

I hemmed all of the edges and checked the fit: not quite right on the sides.
I had to take them in quite a bit.
The final touch for the over dress: I had picked out some trims (with some help), two that complemented each other but still went okay with both fabrics. My help also convinced me to get some fur trim... not sure what I'll do with it yet.
I wanted the trim at least on the top of both sides of the apron, and the straps, and then the bottom hem if I had enough. There had only been two rolls of the wide trim in the shop, so I might not be able to do it all.
After that I used some scraps to test where my side laces should fit.
Rather than buy something new, I made the laces from leftover trim. You fold and fold again to make it stronger. I figured if I made them a metre long they would be long enough to lace through.

Bling

I scoured op shops for weeks hoping to find beads that could be fake amber, bone and other semi-precious, as well as a metal belt that I could re-purpose a couple of discs from for my dress brooches. No luck! In the end I went to the store and bought some things instead.
 Finished dual necklace ready to hook up whatever brooches I find or make:
Like the beads, I had been looking in op shops for something for the brooches, like an old metal belt or something. But I ended up with two pairs of earrings from a cheap jewellery shop.
Very quick glue gun use to connect the earring parts and then attach the brooch bits to the back.
I think they turned out pretty well.
$10 for this leather look-alike bag that will do very well as a belt pouch. It will fit my phone, keys, etc that I need to take on the night. Costumes and practicality don't always mix! I hung it from a $2.50 belt I got from an op shop.
The final look:

No comments:

Post a Comment