Saturday, January 14, 2017

Commercial Car Seat Covers = Not Creative


My first thought these days is: I can make that.


Somehow. 

I will make it instead of buying it.

I will use excess towels, and fabric from IKEA, and make car seat covers that are comfortable and greatly please me. 

So I did it.

We had something like twelve towels in our cupboard at this point, which was too many for just the two of us. There are now four less, as I made chairs covers for our desk chairs as well (got all inspired).




I sewed my bright, cotton drill IKEA fabric to my towels, tucking the fabric over the edge to create a hem around it.

I then took my cover out to the car with some pins, and wrapped one end around the headrest until it slipped over nicely. 



That was sewn into place on both covers and then I was ready to add ties.

I decided that there needed to be three connection points, to make it attach nicely to the chairs.

Something you may notice as this blog progresses, is my slight obsession with mens' ties. Neckties. I love them. They become bag handles, dresses, headbands, and anything I can think of. I pretty much buy some every time I step into an op shop. Who can pass on a patterned silk tie for $1?

So I went into my collection and pulled neckties out, as well as two random long triangles of pink fabric that I have (if you're going to be loud, go all the way, right?). There was also a kimono obi tie in bright green that came out.

I lined them up on the covers and this was the end result:



Now my car is the cause of much envy, despite its external appearance. The covers come off easily, and because they're made from sturdy fabric and towels, they wash easily.






My only thing to fix is down the bottom: I put elastic on them, thinking that it could slip around the seat down there. But the seats aren't built like that. So I either need to extend the length of the covers so that the weight of the fabric and gravity drag them down and stop them from scrunching up; or put a long tie that can go all the way under the seat and attach to the back.

I want to go with more fabric - what do you think?

Cheers.





No comments:

Post a Comment