Friday, June 16, 2017

Touching up a red dress

This is one of my favourite work dresses. When I bought the fabric, years ago, I didn't know what to do with it. So it was turned into a bag for archery gear, and the grey at the top (a kimono obi from Japan) was added for length. Then when I got a proper bag I unpicked it and made it into a dress, grey and all. After a couple of wears I also added the lace for length, feeling that it sat a bit high above the knee.
But now the bottom hem is fraying a bit, so I decided to added another layer of lace to cover the top part.
The bottom part of the lace appears to be fine, so the top part must be what brushes against things and snags, unpicking the stitches. I had some lace in mind:
It was the same length as the existing lace. But what I decided, upon looking at it, was if I folded it over and sewed it down it would have the added advantage of being less see-through. I didn't mind the different reds, they created a slightly different look. What's the point of being able to sew if you can't update your look when you feel like it?
I pinned one end in place and marked spots in the halfway and quarter-way of the lace, so that I ensured that it would make it all the way around the bottom of the dress when I sewed it on. I gathered it as I went around. It achieved exactly the look I was going for:
The refashioned dress:
And here's a local sunset to finish off with 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment