Monday, June 19, 2017

Useful Op Shopping Finds

You never know what you will find in an op shop.

When I went op-shopping recently I found a box full of fabric belts and ties that had obviously come off old clothing. The ladies thought I was a bit odd, as I bought about 20 of them, until I explained that I used them for waist bands and ties on clothing that I made. 
I can easily make ties from existing fabric, but if I can buy a perfectly good set for 20 cents and recycle, why not?
One of them did turn out to be one of those 'chill neck coolers', so when I washed it the gel inside swelled up! Might turn out to be useful anyway 😎

I try to only buy clothes that fit me, rather than things that I will have to alter. If it's very minor alterations it's not so bad, but major ones aren't worth it. Recently I have been buying white/grey cotton and silk shirts to dye. Sadly they have all been too small for me, but they made great presents.
I often look at the trims on nice dresses and weigh up whether the cost of the dress is worth it just for the beaded panels and things. This wedding dress was, but I bought it for the dress itself and the trims were a bonus.
I've also purchased a couple of shirts with nice prints on them that I have cut off and put on other shirts for my brother.  

I regret, when I lived in Japan, not buying more kimonos. Now that I'm in a refashioning mindset there are so many things that I could do with them. I have one displayed at home, but I've had that hanging for a few years now and I don't really want to cut it up. Next trip!!
This top is slightly too small, but it's also too long. I plan to fix it up to fit. Watch for another post in the future.
 I almost didn't buy this dress, but I absolutely loved the fabric. It fits well on top but it a bit too small on the bottom. It could become a top or could remain a dress.
Another trip netted me two pairs of practically new shoes for $15!
Amazing what you can find in an op shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment