Friday, June 23, 2017

Owl can I make this skirt new again?

You may remember one of my favourite skirts and favourite fabrics:
I've worn it for a couple of years now. It was starting to look a bit faded and the material was wearing out, particularly the underskirt which was losing colour. I decided that I needed to update it.
The first step was to add a new waistband, so that it would sit up higher. I had a couple of tops that I wanted to wear with it, but they flashed my stomach. I also had a fabric belt that I didn't wear anymore, so it was perfect.

But when I made the waist, suddenly the underskirt didn't sit right anymore, it was too tight. Rather than try to replace it, I decided to just patch the gap in the front of the overskirt and make it a single-layer garment. I chopped the underskirt out... and accidentally snipped a little hole in the overskirt! Nuts! That should teach me to watch TV and sew at the same time...
I knew that I could patch it with something, so I left it for the moment.
What to put in the gap at the front of the skirt? I had another skirt that my mum had printed with her own design and passed down to me. Unfortunately I didn't wear it as much anymore and had it in mind to refashion for some time. Given how much time I spend at work, I was better off having it to wear there.
I laid it under my owls and thought, 'wow, that's bright, I love it!'. I don't mind that they won't be the same length either, I'm fond of high-low hems.
I took a section of the new fabric and pinned it in place from the inside.
Then it was a matter of sewing it on.
I found a bit of lace and sewed it over the hole I had made,
And the refashioned skirt!
Yikes, the owls are really holographic, aren't they? People have complained to me before, but this photo really makes my eyes cross!
I used the leftovers from both skirts to make yet another skirt. Watch this space ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment