Friday, September 29, 2017

All these eco-dyed shirts... to refashion!

Between us, Mum and I have done at least 5 lots of eco-dyeing. This has resulted in my owning a range of lovely, leaf-patterned, brown-ish, grey-ish tops. I love them, but they can all tend to look a bit the same....
So i started putting braid and things on to differentiate them. Ebay is seriously dangerous for craft things. A whole bag of braid for not that much!
This top actually didn't appeal to me all that much until I made the sleeves shorter and added this funky, lime-green braid. Now I wear it all the time!
Still love the horseshoe print, it came out so well!
I'm doing some thinking about this one. It's a nice, simple shirt. But, strangely, the sleeves are really, really long! They cover my hands completely. Shorten the sleeves? Add something to them? Add something to the neckline? It's very stretchy, which makes it hard to add to. I did pick up packets of scraps from the Aboriginal Art Fair...

No inspiration as-yet.
This top I left as-is, but I wear a black singlet under it because it's a tad too revealing without it.
This is from my most recent lot of dyeing, with someone else's technique. The colours are striking. I pin the front up to my neck when I'm worried about sunburn, so I could add two more buttons. But they wouldn't match the existing ones.
The patterns on the back are excellent!
Even better with some braid:


I tried a lot of things with this top: horizontal braid, vertical braid. It was hard to match the existing stripes.
What I did add was a braid trim on the bottom.

I took this owl off another shirt because I couldn't bear to part with it. The empty space on this shirt was perfect for it! It was incomplete still, so I added the trim to the bottom (which was an op shop buy for 50cents).
The little tie to the side works quite well with the odd patterns too.
This top didn't sit right, it kept riding up. A fabric belt on the bottom helped keep it down.
For this one I added a rainbow trim on the sleeves - one of my favourite so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment