Friday, September 8, 2017

Refashioning the Whirlygig Skirt

Remember this skirt?
I enjoyed making it and it is amazing fabric. But the skirt didn't quite work. The double ties was frustrating, the underskirt fabric turned out to be too crush-able and it was a nightmare to iron. I think I only wore it twice. 
So I removed the leaf panels and kept thinking about it.
Why didn't I just make a normal skirt with this fabric? It's too light. There's clingy and then there's clingy!
I finally decided to find a pre-made underskirt. Save some time and effort making one. It took several months of searching but I finally found one. Viscose, so very comfortable. And just the right style.
An elastic waist, which made it easy to get on and off.
Unfortunately a size too small, but that is never insurmountable. I marked out two places to cut so that I could insert panels to make it bigger.
 Two cuts in the front.
 And two strips to insert.
In progress...
.... and that worked well!
Onto the overskirt. What if I kept them separate? 
I had seen an outfit at a fashion show that had a longer skirt that tied over the top of the underskirt and I loved it:
I cut out a third petal and sewed the three together into a wrap skirt, essentially:
I don't like my skirts to ride up, so I thread the ties through loops on the skirt itself to hold it in place. I created my own tubing to use for the loops:
And fitted them on the sides and the back. I tried attaching one to the underskirt, to see if I could link the two together. 
It didn't work so well. So I kept it separate and concentrated on the ties.
In the end I left the two skirts completely separate. The overskirt sat well over the top of the other one anyway, without it attaching to it. I wasn't concerned that it would look odd.

I had made a matching top, too. And I should have taken photos as I finished the top, but I forgot.
 I made a fold detail on the neckline.
Easier to see from the inside:
And some details on the left shoulder: 
I thought that it might be too much, the top and the full skirt of the whirly fabric. So I kept them separate until I could try all three parts together. But it was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment