Friday, December 29, 2017

Op Shop Refashion: Printing a Plain Shirt

I got this plain mint green shirt from the op shop a while ago. It was basically brand new, a really good find. Cotton, too, which is good when it's 38 degrees outside...

But as often happens when I visit my mum, we did some creative things. And when she was stenciling turtles I wanted to have one, so this shirt got a makeover.
Mum designed and cut this stencil out and he's pretty cute. Made using plastic sheets, like what you used to use in the old projectors.
This was a different piece of fabric that mum printed.
Stenciling is messy, but fun. We put some newspaper in the middle of my shirt so that it wouldn't bleed through to the front, as I was printing on the back. The turtle went on perfectly, and I dabbed some black on for his eyes.
Next: to fill the empty space in the middle. I decided on a shell
You can use a roller or a brush to stencil. We used a roller for the bigger turtle and then brushes to dab paint on for the shell. I was really happy with how it turned out.
 And isn't he a pretty turtle?
A very simple but effective way to upcycle a shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment