Friday, April 27, 2018

Refashioning the Babbarra Orange Crab skirt

I don't think I ended up blogging about this, but the Orange Crab skirt has already been refashioned once. I turned it from a wrap skirt:
Into an elastic-waist skirt:
But it's still a lot of orange for me, I felt like it needed something to break it up. I usually wear this with a contrasting blue top, it's one of my brightest outfits. I still had some of that blue fabric left, so I decided to give that a go.
Both designs are from Babbarra Women's Centre, in Maningrida. They produce so many beautiful fabrics. 
The first place that I started with the skirt refashion was to put the name of the blue fabric artist next to the orange one.
I contemplated a pocket. But ended up removing it because it stood out too much. If I had any of the crab fabric left I would have used that, but I didn't.
I made the bottom of the refashion #1 skirt wavy, as it reminded me of the ocean.
So when it came to refashion #2 I wanted to add more waves. It helped that the scraps of fabric that I had left were all odd-shaped off cuts. Don't you love that contrast?
Easy, straight sewing to attached the blue pieces once they had been hemmed.

And that little pop of colour on the front from the artist's name.
I tried it with the matching top for work this week and loved it. It is amazing how much the top has faded over the years though!
#lovelypennypatterns

No comments:

Post a Comment