Friday, April 13, 2018

Colourful Car Seat Covers: Mending a massive rip!

So I've had my car seat covers for a while now. They started in one car. Moved to a second car. And I added a third one for my back seat, too. But as with anything that is used every day, they have started to wear. The towels that sit under the heavy cotton seem fine, but the top layer has some holes.
If you're going to fix something bright, use something bright, right? I plan to continuously patch these car seat covers, so that they just keep evolving. This came from my box of scraps. Seemed like the right size.
 I had already patched a smaller hole on this cover before I saw the larger one above.
I put a scrap under the top layer for this patch and used zigzag stitch all over it to hold the rip in place and support it. I stitched some extra support into the surrounding material as well.
Back to the big rip. I pinned the fabric in place with all of the edges tucked under so nothing else could fray.
Whizz it through the sewing machine and there it is, with a couple of cross lines of stitching for support. 
Doesn't quite match, but it fits the general theme.
 While I had the covers off I did some hemming as well, as I had over-estimated when I upgraded the covers from my last car to this one, with the bigger seats.
Back to comfort in the car!
#lovelypennypatterns

No comments:

Post a Comment