Sunday, April 15, 2018

Silk Skirt Refashion to funky denim skirt

I bought this beautiful hand-painted silk skirt at a craft fair at the end of last year.
It's not the usual colours that I go for, but the stall had drawn me in with a plethora of brightness and I had to have this.
Problem is.. I don't like it. How silly does that sound?
I took it home, tried it on and thought 'Yes, I love this!' then hung it in the cupboard and haven't worn it since. 
Why? 
Every time I put it on I feel like an overweight hippy. There's too much flow, maybe there's too much yellow (which I don't wear), and I put it back. It's also quite transparent, so I needed to wear a slip under it and that's really hot up here.
It was going to go in the present box, but sometime during a sleepless night I had an epiphany: I can turn this into a denim refashion!
There are dozens of examples online where people have taken the top part of a pair of jeans or shorts and added a flowing skirt to the bottom. I think the blue will offset the yellow in the skirt, and I'll like the style more (since I've made two of these skirts already).
I thought I would go shopping and op-shopping to find some denim to cut up, looking for light denim, because I thought that would suit it better. But I had a denim skirt that I didn't wear enough in my cupboard, that I had already been eyeing for a refashion.
Because the silk skirt is transparent, I needed a layer under it. The picture below already makes me happier!
As it's a denim skirt I can just put the silk skirt over it and not worry about a layer underneath.
I went back to the silk skirt and unpicked the waist band so that I could remove the elastic.
Silk is strong, but when you pair it with denim it is a big difference in weight of fabric. I didn't want the silk ripping because of this so I sacrificed some of the top to fold the silk to make it stronger before I attached it to the denim skirt. This served a second purpose of shortening the silk skirt too, as it would otherwise be too long when attached to the denim. 
Much happier with how this sat on!
I also used a trim when I sewed the silk down, which added more strength again and would help stabilise the link between the silk and denim. 
It was very easy to sew onto the denim then, with some gathers so that it would sit nicely. 
And final product: two skirts that I didn't like/love, made into one skirt that I do!
#lovelypennypatterns

No comments:

Post a Comment