Tuesday, April 14, 2020

My Brother's Japanese Jacket

I lived in Japan for 9 months, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. They also have amazing textiles... so my family members all got a kimono. I regret not buying more, now that I can do all sorts of things with fabric, because I would have some amazing dresses by now! Next trip... though I'm starting to eye this one on the wall....
As he was unlikely to wear it as-is, my brother asked me to turn his kimono into a jacket.
No before picture, sorry, this post was semi-retroactive. It was a black kimono with a patterned bottom though. Phoenixes, even.
What I decided to do was unpick all of the pieces. It was a thin, silk kimono, so it wouldn't be a very warm jacket. I scoured the shops online and found a decent men's jacket that would fit my bro.
I wrapped the bottom pattern around the body of the jacket and pinned it into place
Pretty much a perfect fit!
It sounds odd, but the blacks matched really well, too, so the addition doesn't look out of place.
There was an extra motif, which I pinned to the sleeves of the jacket for extra detail.
Because of the thickness and shape of the sleeve, it was too hard to get all of this through my sewing machine. So I had to hand-sew all of it! This is the sleeve partially done:
It was going to look great when it was done!
I ran the back of the jacket through the machine- hand sewing would have taken forever!
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1P4eI3BCsn5JQJHuT4rVq1v8qRlNgEbGl
And here it is, minus all of those pins:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1ogOVut64fLyZ9zWg3_Vzdwq9jqfR5Xvahttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=17684Gy7V3vI7t1N7CJeGgcyR4awumg4G

No comments:

Post a Comment