Friday, May 12, 2017

Asymmetric skirt in Blue and White

Not everything has to line up!



Maybe this fabric would work with my little sketch pattern? I was very kindly gifted this by someone who decided that I would have better use of it. It is from the Tiwi Islands.
I wanted to make four panels, so that I could make the fabric run in different directions and so that the panels would mis-match.
I decided what length I wanted for the short bit at the front and made a chop along the top here:
I used an existing skirt as a template for the size and dimensions of the two front panels:
You can see that I cut them on two different angles so that the material doesn't match up:
This is something like what they will look like together. I may even make the difference at the bottom more pronounced.
I used the same skirt as a pattern for the back.
 I keep all of my scraps for future projects ☺
 This is the front and back pieces cut out. As the edges won't match up, all four panels will need to be overlocked on all edges and also hemmed, to make sure that no seams are left unfinished.
I love high-low hems, so I did it on the back of this skirt.
I overlocked all of the raw edges and turned the hem under.
This trim caught my eye - I loved the contrast! But where to put it?
I sewed the zip into the back:
And then pinned all four panels together.
But when I tried it on.. it was a bit too small. Oops! I had needed to cut more seam allowance... Luckily I had leftover, full-length strips from the fabric so I could cut two long triangles to add in.
I had to overlock and hem these pieces, too, and then stitch them in.
I finished the look with the fluro yellow pompoms, just for something different.


Love the final result! High-low hem, which is my current favourite style: modest at the back, cool at the front.
 I always add a pocket and a loop for my work tag, too.
I match one of the pictures at work here nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment