Sunday, May 7, 2017

Shades of Blue and Green Skirt

The second skirt that I made from donated dresses, with blues and greens in it, started out like this:
I wanted it to look different to the first skirt, which was vertical stripes, so I decided to do it on an angle. It didn't quite work out the way I wanted though, because I sewed the panels together wrong. I imagined the strips on a diagonal, all around the skirt. But I sewed them together the same way as the first skirt, in vertical lines:


I should have done this:
So instead of what I imagined, the skirt turned out like this:

 And the back:
 It reminds me of birds of paradise, the colours and the front part. Initially it didn't sit right: it wouldn't lie flat the front:
It's also a bit short in front... how to fix it? I do have some bits of these fabrics left. As for the odd shape.. I turned the skirt around so that the zip in the back was to the side and suddenly it sit better:

It must be to do with how I sewed it together. There was very little method to my madness. If the side becomes the front, I'll have to move the pocket and the loop (that I unfortunately already sewed on) for my work pass to hang off. Easy to do.

The final skirt ended up a bit longer, as I realised that I had lots of odd triangles and edges on the bottom. I rounded them out with some other scraps:
Sewed the pocket on, and a tab for my work pass to clip onto:

Found a button for the top:
And done!


No comments:

Post a Comment