Wednesday, May 10, 2017

My mother's gift made into a shirt

Apart from passing on her amazing sewing skills, my mother also gives me great gifts! I get fabric and buttons a lot of the time, rather than pre-made clothes (unless they're op-shop, which we both love) so that I can make my own.
This fabric was a birthday present that I should have done something with some time ago...

It is very me! I love green and the outdoors, trees, streams. This fabric reminds me of what you can see at the bottom of a shallow creek when you look down at the rocks.

This fabric has a lovely drape, so I decided to make a cowl-neck shirt. To cut this, I laid one pattern over another so that the bottom of the front of the top was straight and the arm holes would be in the right place, which is off to the side. Basically I need to leave extra fabric in the middle of the neckline to create the drape look.

Sorry about the photos, the light wasn't great...
 This is the front drape, pinned to my mannikin.
I overlocked the edges on the front piece:
I thought that a cross-back would suit the fabric, but it's very flimsy and if the edges folded while I was wearing it you might be able to see the hemming.
 To stop this, when I cut the fabric I doubled it over so that I could make the back panels stronger. Luckily I had enough fabric to do this.
I pinned them inside out and sewed the pieces together, leaving a gap to pull the fabric back through to the right side.
Then it was a matter of joining the pieces together. 
 The cowl neck sat well on the front.
 The back kept slipping off my shoulders, so I put a cross piece in.
Final top on:

Another shirt to wear to work 🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment