Friday, July 28, 2017

Branch print dress that I couldn't resist refashioning

Another op-shop find, this dress broke my rule of 'don't buy things that don't fit'. Because I loved it so much. It also isn't cotton, so it will be a dress to wear in the air conditioning.
The top part fits well, as does the elastic waistband.
But after trying it on again, I decided that the elastic made the fabric into a weird shape, so I picked it out.
The bottom part is the problem. It's too small. I could unbutton some of it and wear it over tights, but it's too hot up here for that. 
Now, to patch the front opening, or open the sides and patch something into the seams? What would look better? I decided that it was a bit strange with a triangle in front, so I unpicked the side seams and overlocked them to hold them
I went through my stash to find something to go with it, to make the bottom bigger. I looked at some of the bits of fabric that I had eco-dyed, but they had too much brown in them.
Then when I was op-shopping the other week I came across this:
 $1.00. Perfect bargain! Don't they match well?
 I unpicked the pillow case and cut two side inserts out of it:
Then it was a matter of pinning them in place and sewing them in.
Creating a new hem.
And trying it on! I got a lot of compliments when I wore it to work. Very comfortable, too.
 ... but I still wasn't 100% convinced. Something about the neckline.... I'll leave it and wear for a while and see how I go. Always fiddling with things!

No comments:

Post a Comment