Monday, July 31, 2017

Plastic Free July: T-shirt to Shopping Bag

As part of plastic-free July, I helped run a workshop at work upcycling t-shirts into shopping bags. I thought this was a great idea, because I am forever buying bags, so it would be great if I could make my own (and cheaper, too).


This top was an op-shop donation that I decided to re-purpose. 
I took the lace off the bottom to use for something else (not much goes to waste if I can help it). This left me with the singlet. 

On a t-shirt you make three cuts, like this, to create the handles:
But with this singlet, I didn't think that was necessary. So I just sewed the bottom shut and had a nice little bag. 
 
I added a pocket inside for good measure.
.
But I wasn't going to stop at just one! I had some other t-shirts that I liked but didn't wear so much anymore.
 Other bags that we made on the day:
Including a drawstring bag, using the bottom hem of the shirt to thread the string through. Clever!


No comments:

Post a Comment