Thursday, August 10, 2017

Country to Couture Fashion Show 2017

I attended the From Country to Couture – Darwin Aboriginal Art Fair Fashion Show again this year. It's held as part of the Darwin Festival and there's an art fair associated with it.
The fashion show is so inspiring. Last year's show really made me think, "I can make these things, I just need to do it." This year was no different. Here are some of my highlights from the 13 different designers & workshops from around Australia. Unfortunately they aren't amazing photos; iphones and dim light don't mix!
They set the stage nicely.

Babbara Women's Centre, Maningrida
Some very bright, simple prints. I particularly like this first one.

Warlukurlangu Artists, Alice Springs. 
I plan to reproduce this dress style on something! I really could add a lot to my existing dresses.

Injalak Arts and Black Cat designs.
I love the sleeves on this Injalak silk print.
The pink/purple/blue combination here is stunning. I'd love to try something like this. The billowing part is actually a tie-on overskirt.

Ikuntji Artists, Haasts Bluff NT
I loved the collar on this dress. Something to try at home. You see more interesting collars on clothes these days, I love the trend.
Tiwi Islands

Hopevale Arts, Queensland.
I really liked the big, fabric necklaces. Real statement pieces.
I might look for this fabric at the Art Fair...

Palngun Wurnangat Art Centre, Wadeye NT
Ready-to-wear collection, that I look forward to browsing at the Art Fair.

Marnin Studio, Fitzroy Crossing.
A lot of eco-dye, very simple but effective patterns.

Albertini couture had some fabulous ball gowns utilising a range of local fabrics, they were my favourite out of the whole show.
I've seen this print in other colours, the black and white is striking. The outfit was so elegant. All of the hats incorporated material from the dresses as well.
And of course, my favourite print in the whole wide world, on white silk: fabulous dress!!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete