Friday, August 25, 2017

Bright skirt for a bright personality

I've been through a few clothing phases over time, particularly as creative inspiration has struck me. A friend recently sent me this photo, of a skirt that I made some time ago. She likes how bright it is, so I decided that I would make her another one.
This is a wrap skirt, very easy to make and also easy to fit on people. I decided on a range of blues for the skirt and went hunting in my stash. Lots of colours would be too many. 3-4, or a base colour with other features pieces over the top would work nicely.
I found this piece of double-sided cotton from Japan and thought it would be fun.
I went to my wrap skirt pattern.
I cut them out and sewed them together, with the blue side as the outside of the skirt.
I hemmed it all, added an almost Japanese-patterned waistband and sewed the ties on.
But then I figured that the skirt could be double-sided, but as I had the joins between the pieces showing I needed to cover them. I dug in my bag of ribbons and found a couple that would suit.
They looked pretty good!
Rather than put a gap in the skirt, I sewed loops on both sides of the skirt for the ties to thread through.
But the skirt was missing something. I rummaged in the lace stash and came up with some bits to add to the bottom of the skirt.

The original piece was the blue one, but I didn't think it was going to be long enough so I moved onto the darker red - which also wasn't long enough! 
But the combination of the three different laces worked out.
The final skirt - I'm even happier with it than I thought I would be!
I love the layered look of the lace, it's funky!

No comments:

Post a Comment