Friday, August 18, 2017

Refashioning Op Shop Finds - Bright Flower Dress to Skirt

I had a great op shop trip the other weekend. I only hit two stores, but I picked up some excellent things! The material of this dress was soft, comfortably worn-in and so bright!
It was a) Size 12 and b) halterneck, which I don't wear.
 But it had a lot of material in it, so I was confident that I could make myself a skirt. I love long cotton skirts, far more than I like wearing shorts.
 I checked it against one of my existing skirts to make sure:
 And then I chopped the top off.
 When I tried it on for size it definitely fit... but I wouldn't be able to just hem the top and be done with it.
I was having some trouble with my machine and stretch fabric, so I used some bias binding to make it easier for the needles/machine to sew it down. I need to get some new ball-point needles I think!
Then it was a matter of creating a sleeve on the top for the elastic to thread through.
Nice, thick elastic that was re-used from another garment. 
I pin one end in place with a safety pin and use another pin to push it through the sleeve, saves time and frustration. 
Finished skirt! I've worn it already and it was so very, very comfortable. Op shop refasion success! 
This painted bottle was $2 at the op shop as well, I couldn't resist. It looks great on my laundry windowsill with a vine in it.

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful blog. I am very amazed to find this page seeing the fashion and stylish images posted here.Every person has their own fashion and style.
    Wholesale Cotton Beach Wear Mini Skirts

    ReplyDelete