Monday, August 21, 2017

Limelight skirt refashion

After a recent skirt refashion, I had two pieces of fabric leftover. I don't like fabric going to waste and green happens to be my favourite colour.
I also love this print design from my mum: it was all about evolution and transformation, so there are three designs in it. One is a spider lily, one is a spider and the third is something in-between. There's a rosella fruit and a praying mantis in there, too!
I have a hat made out of it in pink and white, which would have been a funky skirt!
I wanted the printed panel to be a feature.
If the pale fabric was too pale, I thought that I could fabric print some patterns over the top. I have a great lino print of a palm tree that would look good.
It would be a simple join, insert zip and fit!

Ok, slightly more complicated than that... and after I looked at the fabrics a few more times I didn't think it was enough. So I pulled more fabric out. And tried a couple of different combinations.

Liked this one, but the brown didn't quite link with the blue. The stingray fabric is from a dress that was donated to me, to be refashioned. The fabric that my mum printed is what I originally wanted to use. But I think that the coloured panel on the spider fabric stands out too much, too, though that can easily go.
I had a full skirt in the pale fabric, but I had taken it off another skirt because it was too small. Two different skirts?
I added some brown in and had a look at it with and without the pale green.
Without. 
With. I decided that this was my combination.
The brown fabric is some that I eco-dyed and I have been wanting to make a work outfit with something like it. The tricky part is that it is a much lighter fabric than the others. I may have to double it over to use it, or put backing fabric behind it.
But it was too see-through :( So it was back the stash to find something else. Luckily I had another brown fabric from the Tiwi Islands that I had used as a table cloth on occasion. I had never found the right use for it, but now I had!
I thought that a series of panels would look good, like I have done with a previous skirt.
No real pattern, other than tapered pieces, a waist band and a zip in the side of back. Oh, and a pocket on there somewhere as well as a tab to attach my work ID to. I still need more work clothes than everyday clothes.

Using another skirt as a guide, I cut all my pieces out and laid them out in order. The other skirt had 9 panels, so that was a good place to start.

When all of the panels were there I realised that they weren't the same length. I did some patching to make them all longer. Lots of smaller piece overlocked and added to the tops! I used a little bit of the pale green skirt.
 And here they are:
 
 All of the edges needed to be overlocked, the most time-consuming part. I also had black thread on the over locked and needed to swap it to white, as the stingray fabric is lighter and the black might show through. 

I have a bag of different coloured zips: the yellow one seemed to suit best.

Added the pocket:
Here it is:
 Very comfortable and breathable cotton and linen for the hot season coming up.
Some of the colours remind me of the sea weeds near home!

No comments:

Post a Comment