Friday, March 9, 2018

Recycled Beach Glass Hair Clips

I've gotten back into wire work recently, particularly working with recycled glass that my family have helped me pick up from the local beaches. I don't have a permanent setup for beading and wire like I do for sewing, so I usually drag it all down to the kitchen table.
A friend asked me to make her some hair clips for her birthday, so that was a nice thing to work towards. She shares my tastes in clips, so I knew I could be creative for her. 
I wrap the wire around the bits of glass, using the odd edges to make it secure. Thicker wire also helps a lot. This fish has been in my bead box for years, so it was nice to be able to put it on something.
It's hard sometimes to avoid compromising the teeth of the comb: you want it to stay in, particularly as the beach glass is quite heavy for a hair clip. I try to only wrap around the very top of the comb.
Matching pins? Why not!
The decorative bobby pins were a good base to attached the glass to. I wrapped the glass and then slid the pin into the wrap, before securing it.
One set done!
I went for different colours in the next piece. The silver leaves came off an old, broken piece of jewellery that was donated to me for upcycling. I think the tassle came off an earring of mine, too.
While I was playing around I put this one together, too, to go in the craft stall box. See the bottle neck in there? I pick quite a few up on the beach, mostly brown ones.
It kind of reminds me of a coral reef, one of those odd combinations you sometimes find in nature.
Lots of combs leftover, so I'll have to sit down and make some more soon. I need more of the rare colours in the glass, the greens and dark blues, so we might have to go walking again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment