Friday, April 28, 2017

Bridesmaid Dresses

I waited to post this after my lovely friends got married, rather than preempt the wedding photos.

There are a lot of different definitions of bridesmaid dresses these days, which I love. I asked my bridesmaids to find a green dress, in any colour green. My bride did the same: I was tasked with finding a red dress to wear. Preferably a brighter red, not dark, or orangey, etc.

At a month before the wedding, after 4 failed dresses (I'll get into that) I finally got The One in the mail. Because as often happens, if you go looking for a specific colour of dress suddenly no one stocks it! Green came in, a lovely bright green, about the time that I started my quest. Not helpful in this case.

The first dress I found was nice and it was in a local shop. Comfortable stretch/linen, quite plain, but very flattering lines.
But I made a mistake when I bought this, because it was too small in the back and gave me bulges.

I broke the golden rule: never buy things you have to make major alterations to, especially if it is a nice garment.

I kept trying the dress on, as I did love the line of it. But I was never happy with how it looked in the back. So I added side panels in to make it bigger. My bride had been talking about lace for herself, so I knew that I could use some on my dress.

It was simple to do. I cut open the side seams and inserted panels. All of the edges were overlocked to seal them.
I had to put darts in the front, to make it more fitted. But the back still didn't sit right -there may have even been MORE bulges.
In a last-ditch effort I tried putting a scarf over it to hide it all!I don't know why I'm smiling...
It was no good. I hated it every time I put it on. So 6 weeks before the wedding, I turned to eBay. These dresses were lovely styles that would suit me, and were cheap. So I bought all three.




The problem? Despite the measurements saying they were XL, when they arrived they were way too small! I ended up selling them to a friend at work who happens to love red.

Luckily I had seen another dress online from a shop that I regularly ordered from that looked good. As usual, I ordered one size too big. The sense of relief when it arrived a week after the eBay disasters was palpable. This was The One. It fit, with a minor seam at the side to pull the bodice in tighter. My bride was ok with the belt. It went with my shoes. Success! 
Not wanting to waste anything, the first red dress experienced a cutting session and was turned into a nice, long skirt. 

Hopefully, lesson learned! Happy wedding photo:

No comments:

Post a Comment