Sunday, April 30, 2017

Does Fly-In Fly-Out foster creativity?

My husband has been a fly-in fly-out worker. He goes away for work for a period of time, and then comes home again for an equal period of time. To fill the evenings and days that he is away I sew. A lot. Because there is just too much time to myself, even around catching up with friends and family.

It used to be more effort to get all of my sewing out in the previous place we rented. I used the table when my husband was away at work, and had to pack everything up before he came home so that he could use it.
My desk was covered in my computer gear, so I had to use the fold-up plastic table. It bounced from the force of the sewing machine!

But now I have my half of the hobby room, which turns into my 5/6 of the hobby room when I have it to myself. I can come home from work, take the cover off my machine and go for it. Which I do, and it's great to have that option as I have a chair covered in UFOs (unfinished objects) that has gradually been going down.
Creative space aside, one of my pet peeves is people who go, "Oh, it must be soooo nice to get rid of your husband for all that time!"
No it is not, as I miss him terribly.
It is through the generosity of my husband that I have my dressmakers manikin and overlocker that help pass the time when he is away. He always tells me the things that I make look nice... unless he honestly thinks they're ugly, ha ha.

Due to his absence I took on this project from work to sew old light-pole banners into massive bunting to be used for a commemoration event this year. It filled some time when he was away: 24 hours' worth of sewing in the end, spread out across weeks without my husband. The results of the last few months of absence are hanging here for all the world to see.





So yes, FIFO gives me time to be creative, but it isn't balanced by the time that I lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment