Friday, April 21, 2017

In a flap for a flapper dress

I admit that I can't help myself when it comes to costumes these days: I will make one rather than buy. It has its advantages, because I know that I will like them and they will fit well. On the flip side it may cost me more and take me longer... although the quality is also guaranteed.

When my work Christmas Party theme was 'Hollywood', my husband suggested that we go 1920s so that he could wear a suit and his bowler hat. I agreed, but after a quick look online for a flapper dress I wasn't encouraged.

Vintage frocks were absolutely gorgeous, fully beaded, stunning creations... but mostly small sizes.

Costume packs weren't exciting at all.

So I pulled out a plain brown slip that I had in a drawer, bought a pile of different braids in red and black and started pinning to my dressmakers manikin. Unfortunately I've changed phones since I made this, so I don't have any work-in-progress photos.
The pattern on the front was inspired by looking at a lot of photos of dresses from the 1920s. Many of them feature geometric patterns, particularly diamonds. A good a place as any to start. 
I began with a plain diamond in the middle and worked my way out. I could have easily kept going and completed the whole front and back with braid, but it would have doubled the price of what I had already spent on it.
Of course there is the obligatory fringe, of which there are three layers. It was the most frustrating part to sew, actually, as once I had one layer on I had to make sure I didn't catch bits of it in the next layer when I sewed it on!
I cut the original brown straps off the slip and added my own. I did try to cover as much of my bra straps as I could, but didn't strive for perfection.
I already had the jewellery, and made myself a headband that I added feathers and brooches to. I've worn it again since, for my birthday party in 2016 - 1920s theme!

And this explains why I have two different haircuts in the pictures 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment