Friday, November 3, 2017

Op Shop Refashion - Funky pink shirt

What's that? Another op shop find? Surely not! Well, not my usual find anyway.
Something about this pattern made me get this shirt, despite:
  • the button-up style that I dislike
  • the polyester fabric that is too hot for my city
  • the long sleeves
  • the collar
  • breast pockets
  • the length

But it's such a great pattern and I love how the pink and khaki green go together.
So, the first step:  remove all those aspects that I don't like about it with a seam ripper.
The pockets were sewn on very well, so it took a lot of unpicking!
They finally came away though...
I also removed the collar, because I don't like how I look in them.
And then I chopped most of the sleeves off, leaving enough to play with. I thought really small, capped sleeves might be nice.
Then another chop to take some of the length off.
All the edges were hemmed and finished off, including the bottom hem. I removed all of the buttons and sewed the front seam closed. 
Even with the collar removed, I wasn't happy with how high the new collar sat.

 I pinned it under again and was much happier.
It sits high at the back.
I tried it on and was even happier.
 I also pulled some beaded trim out of the new box and tried in a few ways.
On the neckline?
 Over the shoulders?
 Perhaps on the back? Though that would be uncomfortable if I leaned back in a chair.
 But I settled on putting it from the bottom. Lots of pinning before I sewed so that it didn't slip!
And what it did a good job of disguising was where I had accidentally hemmed the bottom the wrong way, turning it up instead of down.
 After that it was a matter of finishing the sleeves with a nice, pointed shape.
And then I had another top! It matches some of my skirts, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment